Artist

Harry Redman

Fitting the theme of our Online Exhibition "Celebrating our Town – Discover Reading", this Museum Highlight shows us a lost view. [Highlighted: Sep 2020]

View to Reading Station
by Harry Redman (1920–1994)

Oil on board or Gouache on card (to be verified)
47.6 x 38cm
Date: unknown

RGA member: 1950–1957
Reading Museum Accession Number
REDMG : 1984.22.1

This is a view of Reading Station before the erection of the many 1970s brutalist office buildings that later surrounded it, many now demolished to make way for new office buildings.

In the distance through a tree-lined street you can see the old Victorian single sided station building with its central clock tower, now home to the Three Guineas pub. Today it is flanked by the 1989 ticket office and Brunel Arcade and the modern station redevelopment opened in 2014.

Henry Victor Redman, know as Harry, was born in Thanet, Kent in 1920. Harry joined the Department of Fine Art, University of Reading as an Assistant Lecturer, following war service in the RAF. His early years were spent mainly in the Life Room – drawing from the human figure which he enjoyed and believed in. He continued as a Lecturer until his early retirement in 1982, working part-time for a further 3 years. His love of the skills and finesse of etching and engraving formed the basis of his teaching.

Harry "was introduced to the RGA... within months of arriving at the University". He exhibited mainly drawings in the RGA Annual Exhibition, with unspecified subjects or titles listed in the catalogues. Harry exhibited no more than two works per exhibition between 1950 and 1955, missing only one year, 1954, the year of his marriage. By 1958 he was no longer a member of the RGA.

Harry initially lived in Northcourt Avenue, Reading, a road very close to the University. From 1955 he lived in Myrtle Villas, Kiln Lane, Binfield Heath until his death in 1994.

He was remembered for his charm, wit and humour as well as his knowledge and skill.

Top▲

RGA
Privacy      Cookies