215. A Glimmer of Hope (November Lockdown), Oil on canvas, 40.5 x 50.5cm, SOLD
216. The Pied Piper, Oil on canvas, 40.5 x 50.5cm, £550 unframed, £590 framed
217. Rapture, Oil on gesso panel, 20 x 20cm, SOLD
128. Forbury Gardens Fair: Sizzler Café, Oil on canvas, 46.4 x 64cm including frame, £595
129. Fair, King's Meadow from flooded Christchurch Meadows, Oil on canvas, 61 x 61cm including frame, £695 including frame
130. Forbury Gardens Fair: Skystars, Oil on canvas, 46.5 x 64cm including frame, £595
As day turns to night new characters emerge from the shadows. Our perception of public space changes completely. This transformation led me to attempt paintings based on my nocturnal observations and recordings. I was particularly interested in the way hard neon light contrasts with natural surroundings and how they evoke a heightened, dramatic atmosphere, and sometimes rather eerie feelings. Working on a black gesso ground in oils can be tricky. Before colour can be used under-painting white has to be employed first in the brighter parts of the composition. This is done in order to prevent colour-sink where colour is applied. However, a wonderful luminosity can be achieved.
71. Christchurch Meadows: Winter Geese, Oil on canvas, 100 x 100cm, £2000 unframed
72. Reflections on Water and Ice: Christchurch Meadows, Oil on canvas, 64.5 x 54.5cm, £695 including frame
73. Caversham Court: October, Oil on canvas, 64 x 84cm, SOLD
Reading's parks and green spaces along the Thames and Kennet are special to anyone living in the area and I feel fortunate they are on the doorstep of my Caversham studio. In addition to exercise and relaxation they offer me a wonderful resource and an endless supply of subject matter and ideas for painting. The row of poplars bordering Christchurch Meadows have become icons which have found their way into many of my pictures over the years; and the meditative tranquillity of Caversham Court Gardens has become another favourite of mine. I have painted them in all seasons, times of day and weather, yet they never fail to offer new possibilities.
To contact the artist:
Mobile number: 07734441814
For more about the artist, see RGA Gallery page: Michael Norcross