Eloise Q. Kearney
This watercolour of Basildon Park gates could easily have been produced on one of our Summer Painting Days. [Highlighted: Apr 2023]
It is noted in ‘A History of the Reading Guild of Artists’ by E.V Watson, that Eloise Q. Kearney was a notable new member in 1933, who chiefly exhibited in Liverpool and the Republic of Ireland. It appears she did however find time to serve on the RGA’s Council for most of her membership until 1941 when deteriorating health caused her to resign.
This watercolour of Basildon Park Gates was exhibited at the Reading Guild of Artists Eleventh Annual Exhibition, Municipal Art Gallery Reading, April 1941. It was to be the last painting exhibited by the artist. It is stated in the catalogue that this work was purchased by the Guild for presentation to the Municipal Gallery.
Basildon Park House, built in the late 18th century and now owned by the National Trust, is situated not far from the artist’s home in Upper Basildon, Berkshire. The painting dates from just before the time when the house and grounds were renovated in the 1950s.
Eloise illustrated The Riddle of The River by Joan Margaret Fleming, which was published in 1946. Not much more is known about the artist.